Monday, May 9, 2011

May Album Update

Steadily we tread forward on the path of completion of the album. We're focusing on getting Through Your Eyes into finished state before we put too much energy on the other tunes and we're pretty close in having a sound I really like.

While I had another full sound scape in my head when I wrote the song, this has turned out to be something more powerful than I thought I could make.

In this blog post you will get the benefit of hearing a preview of where we are at the moment as well as a few words on the process of the recording sessions.

Every Wednesday night we head on into the studio to work on the album. While Dave makes his fabulous coffee I practice what I'm supposed to play or try to get inspiration to get into that space where I'm totally focused on the now. It's easy to loose focus and just play while thinking of something completely different. And while that may have some interesting results I find that it's much more empowering to be totally there and give all that I can give.

Since the sneak peek of the last album progress I posted we've added a few things. Most importantly we have the electric guitar which does a few things. In the choruses it adds a powerful carpet on which the rest of the songs rests on and it makes the song sound big.

Secondly we've redone the acoustic guitar as we realized that the more instruments we added the less space we had, so it's become less prominent.

Thirdly we redid the drums as we rearranged the structure a bit and we will shortly redo them again now that we know the full sound that will be.

Fourthly we redid the vocals and added a few African feeling sounds. The phrase is "Nn-geh" which is what my son says when he's happy (5 months old). This part will be redone as well and with more than my voice but it's been good to have it there as a guide.

In addition to this we've done some more mixing to get it sounding better.

In the coming is backing vocals, soprano sax, final vocals and percussion.

So with no further adue, here is the preview:

Don't hesitate to give me feedback to make this a great record. I value your words more than you think.

Stay tuned for further updates, I'll post about upcoming album stories as they come. Join Vide Geiger on Facebook or Subscribe to the blog to get updated as it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment