Friday, June 4, 2010

Album update 2 - In the studio

Arriving at the studio Dan's Pet Shop with two guitars, some gear and a busy schedule I entered this cozy dim lit studio welcomed by Wheels and a big snake (yes, fortunately in a terrarium). I felt right at home with all the instruments hanging on the walls, the rooms of recording equipment and a leather couch to rest a few hairy legs in.



After a short warm up of my voice I stepped into the singing booth and did a few practice runs on the end of Sinking Ship where I'm having a call out for everybody to come on board, to be in this together, to take responsibility and care of the earth we live on. After a few creative stunts we finally got what we wanted and ended my performance of the evening, I mean this was all about getting the other musicians on record, enough of me already.


Shortly after Marta Pacek came in to do her harmonies. She had already prepared a few that we tried out before she stepped into the booth, many were well thought through and I couldn't have made them myself. I had her lay a track on top of my voice on both Sinking Ship and Stones, which sounded great, fragile and soft. Both harmonies and octave doubles added a new dimension to the feel.


At the end of her session Peirson Ross and Josh Williams came into the studio adding weight to an already good bunch of talented people in the room. Now it was Josh's turn to be creative and color the tracks Stones and Brown grass with some fantabulistic harmonica playing. All he really needed was one run on each song and we think we got what we wanted. It's a jaw opener to watch him get so much sound and feel from that little instrument. I'm excited to hear how it will sound like in the end.




(Lowell Whitty on drums)


Last we had Lowell Whitty on drums and Chris Kettlewell on stand up bass. We wanted them to be on together to get the best feel and dynamic between them. I had brought in Lowell and Peirson had brought in Chris not knowing that they already knew each other, a funny coincident. They're both great players who add their personal touch and they certainly leave you wanting them to do just one more take just to hear them play again.


I've posted a video on youtube showing a glimpse of how it sounded when they were on: See the video on youtube (note that the song will not be as long as in the video and is missing the harmonica)


Now awaits a huge job mixing everything and then mastering it, and when that's done I'll probably release these three tracks as online singles and start working on the next three or four which combined will make up the EP released on the major music sites.


Next weekend, 12th of June @ 2:45pm, I'm playing the Windfall Ecology Festival on the solar powered world music stage.


Don't forget to check out the website for more info: VideGeiger.com


Also be sure to view my other youtube videos: Check it out

"Live your life like it's your first"


~ Vide

No comments:

Post a Comment